The Rabaul and Montevideo Maru Memorial was dedicated today at the Australian War Memorial to commemorate the lives of more than 1000 Australian soldiers and civilians whose were lost when the Japanese prison ship Montevideo Maru was torpedoed by a US submarine off the coast of the Philippines on 1 July 1942. For more about this memorial, the history it represents and the people involved in bringing recognition to this tragic event (including the Late Hank Nelson), see the Rabaul and Montevideo Maru Society website, Keith Jackson’s PNG Attitude Montevideo Maru page, an ABC video of the dedication or visit the Australian War Memorial.
Pacific regional events
TagsACP Asia-Pacific Australia Bougainville China Cook Islands European Union Federated States of Micronesia Fiji France French Polynesia Guam Hawai'i Indonesia Japan Kiribati Malaysia Marshall Islands Melanesia Nauru New Zealand Niue Northern Mariana Islands Nouvelle Calédonie Pacific Pacific Islands Pacific Islands Forum Palau Papua New Guinea PIF Polynesia Samoa Solomon Islands Tahiti Taiwan The Netherlands The Philippines Timor-Leste Tokelau Tonga Tuvalu US Vanuatu Wallis and Futuna West Papua
- PacificAus Sports regional hub in Samoa wants to grow
- Will Solomons star's pro deal in Europe be a game changer for soccer in the Pacific?
- Women in the Fiji Rugby Union push for gender equality and gender equity
- Could Solomons soccer star Raphael Lea'i's Europe contract persuade talent scouts to look at other Pacific players?
- Solomons star Jenly Wini eyeing a golden hat-trick at home Pacific Games, then she might retire!